A HISTORY THAT LEFT A LEGACY
The Charlotte City Club came into being on January 10, 1947. First envisioned in 1945 by Herbert H. Baxter, the Mayor of Charlotte, who envisioned a “quiet place with attractive surroundings where meals would be served and members could get together to discuss business.” Here Charlotte residents and other Carolinians would meet and know each other as friends.
The first location of the City Club was on two floors above the Union National Bank, which was then on the corner of Fourth and Tryon Streets. These quarters were remodeled and furnished to afford the membership the tastefully elegant setting that organizers had planned.
In 1962, the Charlotte City Club was moved to the second and third floors of the Mutual Savings and Loan Association on the corner of Tyron Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard.
In the late 1980’s, discussions began anew concerning the relocation of the Club to the top two floors of the new Interstate Tower on the Square in the heart of uptown Charlotte. On November 29, 1990, the Club opened its elegant new surroundings with a formal Grand Opening Gala, and the members and their guests celebrated the dawning of an exciting new era for the Club.
In 2005 a member survey was conducted to determine what additional amenities the membership would like to see that would enhance their experience at the Club. The membership clearly indicated they would like a larger bar and a casual dining area. In 2006 the Club began construction on the Grill Room and major renovation of the Club. The Grill Room and renovations were completed in September of 2006. The Grill Room and the main bar was well received by the membership and continues to be very popular today.
In 2013 another member survey was conducted to gauge the pulse of the membership and determine what additional amenities the membership would like to see. The membership indicated more casual dining, soft seating, a wine and coffee bar as well as billiards. In 2014 construction was completed on the "Hornets Nest" which provided casual dining, soft seating, a wine and coffee bar and outstanding views of the BB&T Ballpark, Bank of America Stadium and the North Carolina mountains. The project also included the addition of a new Billiards Room.
Today, the Charlotte City Club reflects the highest aspirations of its founders. It provides a very special place for members to come and enjoy their social and business activities, from quiet luncheon meetings and small intimate dinners to social occasions and large private events.